Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What is software?

Reader Scott asks, what is software?  I guess it's a fair question to ask if you've been living under a rock for the last 20 years, but there's nothing I like talking about more than software.  Simply, if you imagine that God finished creating human bodies but decided not to create a soul for the body, you'll have a basic understanding of what a cell phone or computer would be without software.  Since I created the first software company and everyone uses my stuff many people say I'm like the software god who gives life to all electronic devices.  And they would be correct.  Try playing Halo without the software, the Xbox would only be a stupid box.  Software is like turning math into living creatures who make life more enjoyable for people; except for unskilled workers who end up losing their jobs because of it.  But that's why God gave us alcohol and why I gave us Xbox.

No comments: